History of The School
In 1810, a "Free School" was opened in St Anne's Church, Kew, for 50 children, financed by subscribers who gave one guinea a year, in addition to a contribution given by King George III.
Until 1824 when King George IV contributed with others to the first Free (Church of England) School in Kew, there had been no educational establishments other than those privately run and thereby, fee-paying.
In 1824 the school moved to a site near the pond on Kew Green .The new school, was constructed in the Gothic style in an area between the pond and the river and the King commanded that the new school should be known as 'The King's Free School'. It was opened in 1824 by his brother, Prince William.
The foundation stone was laid on 12th August, the birthday of King George IV, who gave £300 with the condition that the school be called "The King's Free School".
The school's name was changed to Queen's School on the accession of Queen Victoria, who gave permission for the school to be called "The Queen's School" and decreed that its title should change with that of the monarch and was to change with subsequent monarchs by their permission.
The increasing population of Kew led to the need for a larger school. Compulsory schooling up to the age of 10 was introduced late in the nineteenth century and the school expanded considerably. In 1887 the Duke of Cumberland laid the foundation stone for the school.
The building was demolished in 1970 and its successor, The Queen's School, moved to its Cumberland Road site in 1969. This building has since been demolished in 2016 and a new school built and re positioned on the same site.
Patronage from the Royal Family and their entourage was of great value to the school. Boys and girls were educated separately and education was free for those from Kew, a daily rate being payable by those living elsewhere.
Deposited by the Clerk to the Governors of The Queen’s School, Kew, in April 2008.
The charity school, later known as the King’s or Queen’s School, was established in 1810 according to The Reports of the Commissioners ... concerning Charities in England and Wales relating to the County of Surrey, 1819-37. New buildings were completed in 1826.
The original endowment of the school consisted of one twelfth share of the income from an estate called Perry Court Farm, Faversham, Kent, bequeathed under the will of Dorothy, Lady Capel, who died in 1721. Further endowments included £40 bequeathed by Barbara Meyer, widow of Jeremiah Meyer RA, in 1818; £300 given by King George IV in 1824 to build the school house, with the command that in future the school should be called ‘The King’s Free School’; and the sale of the Dame Holford £75 South Sea Stock in 1827 to help pay for building the school house.
The school was supported by annual subscribers, but from the latter part of the 19th century received increasing amounts of government grant.
The Queen’s School came into the state education system under the terms of the Education Act, 1902, becoming a Voluntary Aided School. This is a denominational school owned by the Trustees in which governors have particular responsibilities including the external upkeep of the school buildings, insurance and a proportion of the cost of any new building work. The Foundation, via the Diocesan Board as trustees, still owns the school and as such has the right to have a majority of governor representatives to ensure that the character and conduct of the school are preserved in accordance with its trust deed.